Monday, July 21, 2008

In and Around Bad Windsheim and Amberg

Note: Read this post before you read Southern Bavaria: Mountain Castles.


Before we left our old "neighborhood" to head to the mountains, we had to check a few more things off the list and show the girls where they were born, where they lived, etc.--just a few sights from their (early) childhood! First of all, the birthplaces of two very important young women:
Klinik Bad Windsheim (then called Klinik Augustinum), birthplace of L'Artiste. Not a very beautiful building, but the scene of a very important & world-changing event! Klinikum St. Marien Amberg, birthplace of the lovely Orangina! This is actually in Amberg, which we visited on our way to Garmisch. I just liked putting it here so both the important birthplaces are in the same spot! Orangina lived in Germany long enough that she has a few vague memories of Germany. L'Artiste was only a year old when she moved back to the States, so alas, no memories for her...until now! St Kilian's and the Rathaus, Bad Windsheim. Interesting perspective, eh? St. Kilian's was built in the 15th century and was restructured in the 1700s as a Protestant Reformation church. I noticed that the cemetary and the grounds of the church looked like they needed some attention--not a typical site in Bavaria. I wonder what the deal is? Landwehr-Brau: our local brewery's mobile bier wagon. Brilliant, and quite civilized idea, isn't it? If Chuck had only been with us, he'd have loved a taste for old times' sake! I'm not sure, but I think this used to be Chuck's favorite guitar shop. Notice the bull over the door. That indicates that it used to be a butcher's shop. Yvonne said that a couple of months ago, a big truck came squeezing down the lane and broke off the bull's horn. After all these many, many years some truck driver broke off the horn? What a pity! Moira finally finally got her spaghetti eis! That was the one thing that she wanted to have more than anything! I think she enjoyed it too! Next, we were off to the village of Ickelheim, where we lived most of the time we were in Germany, and of course, when L'Artiste was born. I included the first few pictures because that scene just has such a special place in my heart. I drove past those trees and pastures so many times on the way to school or out on adventures, and when I returned this summer, I had such a feeling of homecoming. It was great to be there again...and with the girl, it was really wonderful. Our house in Ickelheim. We lived on the first floor. They've expanded the soccer field out back, and now there's a club house of some sort too. I'll bet it's interesting on soccer nights!

Next, we headed for southern Bavaria--into the Alps! More on that later!
If you're reading this, leave me a comment so I know I'm not just blabbing to myself! Click on the comment link below (it's probably blue) and drop me a note! If you're currently logged into your gmail account, it'll "recognize" you automatically. If you're not, or if you don't have gmail, you just have to enter your email addy so it can tell you're not a computer or spammer.

No comments: